General Foreman: Operations - Newmont Mining CorporationEngineering Jobs In Ghana 2024
Jobs In Brong Ahafo Region 2024
A Must Read Article: 10 checks to identify fraudulent or scam job offers
1. Patiently scroll down and read the job description below.
2. Scroll down and find how to apply or mode of application for this job after the job description.
3. Carefully follow the instructions on how to apply.
4. Always apply for a job by attaching CV with a Cover Letter / Application Letter.
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work for.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
CONTINUE READING BELOW
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry-leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
About This Role
- To manage the underground mine infrastructure operational personnel and to coordinate with mechanical, electrical and controls functions on the operation of the associated production plant and equipment with the aim of delivering optimum plant productivity whilst maintaining the highest standards in regard to safety, efficiency, and good housekeeping.
In This Role, You Will
Underground mine infrastructure operations oversight
- Develop and implement operations strategies, budgets and plans to ensure the maximum availability of the fixed plant at optimum cost.
- Collaborate with the supply chain department and maintenance planning to ensure that all the necessary materials and supplies are available to maintain the underground mine and associated facilities.
- Oversee operations in the crushing plant and other underground mine infrastructure.
- Oversee the development and review of the standard task procedures (STPs) and standard operating procedures (SOPs), management plans and guidelines.
- Provide input into failure analysis studies and recommend alternative strategies for maintenance.
- Schedule and deploy personnel, equipment and supplies necessary for the successful operation of the underground mine infrastructure.
- Coordinate production shutdowns and start-ups of the underground mine infrastructure to minimize delays.
- Maintain a high housekeeping standard in the areas of underground mine infrastructure.
- Manage and control costs within own area, where possible (i.e., reduce waste, improve operational control).
- Coordinate and execute procedural and operational projects and changes within the underground mine infrastructure areas by following the change management procedure.
- Any other tasks or duties within the individual’s skill set as directed by the maintenance superintendent or senior mine officials.
Underground Mine Infrastructure Operations Supervision
- Ensure that operations team employees are being trained and developed in accordance with the company’s personnel development program.
- Manage and supervise contractors engaged in operation-related activities for the underground mine.
- Supervise allocated staff member(s) by:
- Promoting efficiency in all aspects of plant operation activities.
- Providing on-the-job training, mentoring, and coaching and recommending relevant training and development courses.
- Performing the first level of the performance appraisal for direct reports.
- Disciplining poor performance or actions (first level of disciplinary procedures).
- Enhancing communication with staff through regular feedback, contact, meetings and briefings, etc. Conduct thorough shift handover meetings with the relevant shift/crew and transfer applicable information.
CONTINUE READING BELOW
Health, Safety and Environment
- Comply with all Health and Safety, Loss Prevention, Environment and Social Responsibility requirements under Newmont’s Integrated Management System.
- Accept responsibility for the health and safety of employees under or assigned to his / her supervision.
- Provide hands-on assistance during operations activities and ensure that safe work practices are followed.
- Manage isolation / de-isolation of the underground mine infrastructure equipment.
- Conduct and attend periodic safety meetings, inspections, and audits.
- Attend monthly safety inspections and meetings.
- Oversee that security procedure are followed to minimize the opportunities for theft of material or company property.
Plant and Equipment Maintenance
- Coordinate and assist operations and maintenance personnel with troubleshooting plant and equipment defects / malfunctions.
- Perform equipment isolations, in accordance to established procedures.
- Work with the maintenance team to achieve efficient plant and equipment performance and availability.
- Work with the maintenance team to efficiently rectify plant and equipment breakdowns.
- Liaise with the maintenance department in defining maintenance requirements for the underground mine infrastructure outside of regular business hours to maintain production requirements and targets.
- Responsible for the compilation, operations and management of an accurate, complete and up to date schematic register for the underground mine and associated infrastructure.
- Produce operation-related reports as required and distributes to the relevant personnel and mine officials.
- Ensure that shift handover and other meetings as required are conducted in an efficient and orderly manner.
- Produce incident/accident reports, where required.
- Conduct regular meetings with the operations team and other departments and personnel as required ensuring that the appropriate information is gathered or disseminated.
Training, Skills And Experience Checklist
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Bachelor’ Degree in Extractive Metallurgy or Chemistry or equivalent is highly desirable.
- A trade qualification in a mechanical, electrical or automation field is highly desirable.
- Demonstrable knowledge of mineral processing principles and mining industry standards.
- Advanced knowledge of crushing and refrigeration plant equipment.
- Minimum of 7 years experience in metalliferous mining.
- Minimum of 3 years of supervisory experience in an industrial environment.
- Previous process operating experience, particularly with crushing plants.
CONTINUE READING BELOW
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Well-developed written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Advanced computer literacy skills – MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook), CMMS/ ERP and MS Project.
- Advanced information monitoring and management skills.
- Possess good planning and organising skills.
- Possess good time management and task prioritisation skills.
- Be experienced with document management.
- Capacity planning skills.
- Strong business continuity management skills.
- Quality management skills.
- Demonstrate good report-writing skills.
- Strong conflict management and influencing skills.
- Advanced project/programme management skills.
- Strong coaching and mentoring skills.
- Ability to provide management and support staff with clear and detailed information or guidance to perform their assigned roles.
- Ability to use maintenance planning tools (i.e. SAP).
- Ability to interpret mechanical and electrical engineering drawings, blueprints and manuals.
RELATED JOBS >> CLICK A JOB BELOW TO VIEW & APPLY
- Do not pay any fee to any Recruiter.
- The Recruiter may amend, delete or expire jobs at any time without notification.
- The Recruiter reserves the right not to proceed with filling the position.
- An application will not in itself entitle the applicant to an interview.