Jobs In Ghana 2019
A Must Read Article: 10 checks to identify fraudulent or scam job offers
AngloGold Ashanti (Ghana) Limited is currently on a journey to redevelop the Obuasi Gold Mine into a modern, efficient and long-term profitable operation. The underground mining operation will be fully mechanized, designed to produce up to an average maximum of 5,000 t/day of ore mined.
We are seeking an experienced and self-motivated person to join our dedicated team as Maintenance Manager – Underground.
ROLE PURPOSE AND CONTEXT
The Maintenance Manager – Underground is accountable for the development and implementation of Underground Fixed and Mobile Plant and Infrastructure maintenance, including the Electrical Distribution, CIC, Winding, Mine Services, Mine Dewatering, Heavy Equipment and Transport through the application of operational engineering policies, standards, systems and procedures to maximise plant availability in a sustainable, cost-effective manner and minimize operational risks in order to meet the business’ strategic objective.
- Deliver the Safety Management plan elements for the areas under the incumbent’s control.
- Provide technical input to the management in order to develop the safety management plan for the construction and refurbishment works, consistent with AGA’s Integrated Safety Management System and Standards.
- Review the application of safety standards and work practices for the refurbishment construction and mining workforce to enable the safety targets to be managed and achieved.
- Apply HSE regulations with zero tolerance to breaches.
- Demonstrate safety behaviour consistent with AGAG’s vision and values.
- Lead by example to create a safe working environment, where risks are assessed and managed, so tasks are performed without risk of injury or harm.
- Continuously seek opportunities to improve design and field safety performance.
- Apply the ‘working elements’ (inspections, audits, JSA, etc.) of the Safety Management System and deliver compliance
- Deliver timely investigation of all injuries, illness, and incidents with actions plans developed to prevent recurrences.
- Identify safety training needs and deliver safety training requirements to enable personnel to safely perform their designated work
- Issue environmental related instructions to any employees at the workplace as required to achieve compliance.
- As a minimum, achieve zero reportable environmental incidents, zero compliance breaches and no events requiring public disclosure.
- Utilise, ‘Analyse and Improve’ tools to investigate process interruptions so that exposure to environmental risks is reduced.
- Reduce energy usage by running the mine energy consumption per unit produced at the optimal rate within the sphere of influence.
- Support the Processing Department to maintain Cyanide Code certification.
- Establish the Underground Mine infrastructure team required to support the role holder in executing the project, and operational budget.
- Using AGA’s How we Work guidelines, clearly define the roles and accountabilities of subordinates.
- Recruit and appoint people to role in accordance with AGA policy and localisation objectives as directed by the Senior Manager Engineering.
- Prepare and execute training and development plans.
- Ensure the organisation structure is capable of delivering the maintenance strategy.
- Communicate policies and procedures in a manner so as to achieve full understanding and compliance by the workforce.
- Provide guidance to subordinates in leadership techniques to achieve maximum performance.
- Verify that supervisors and superintendents develop a skills matrix that includes all disciplines and individual achievements.
- Identify skill deficiencies and initiate corrective action.
- Develop an appropriate succession plan for key positions with the correct supportive development plan.
- For the following underground work activities –
- Refurbish transport of ore and personnel.
- Refurbish ore chutes, conveyors and control mechanisms.
- Refurbish hoisting of ore and personnel.
- Refurbish fixed and mobile equipment workshops.
- Refurbish air compressors and piping.
- Refurbish power distribution and cabling.
- Refurbish mine dewatering pumps, piping and ancillary equipment.
- Refurbish operational water distribution.
- Refurbish operational instrumentation for data collection, process control.
- Input into the design and constructability process, ensuring safe constructability remains a high priority. Including HAZID’s, HAZOP’s and schedule development.
- Advice and guidance to the refurbishment project team on best practice and fit for purpose engineering and construction outcomes to meet approved design specifications.
- Review, approval and sign off of the detailed Refurbishment Execution Plan and schedule, infrastructure detailed design requirements, detailed testing plans, operational commissioning plans, handover plans, training plans, manuals, records, drawings, specifications and documents issued.
- Deliver infrastructure requirements consistent with the procurement and contracting strategy, which addresses the construction time, cost and quality risks.
- Support interface management with the EPCM contractor for construction and refurbishment works.
ADVERTISEMENT CONTINUE READING BELOW
CONTINUE READING BELOW
- Liaison with the Manager Planning to develop maintenance planning and management outcomes.
- Manage refurbishment installation contractor and an AGAG maintenance workforce to deliver works that meet cost, schedule and quality expectations consistent with the scope and quality contained in the Feasibility Study within the area of accountability.
- Proactively manage change to avoid potential project cost and schedule overruns.
- Manage priorities within a dynamic environment, whilst maintaining safety, budget, schedule and quality targets.
- Communicate accurate and timely construction schedule delivery, progress, cost and quality information in the area of accountability.
- Collaborate with Construction Manager on new builds safety, operability, standards, maintainability, and reliability.
- Provide major inputs to Operational Readiness for the Underground engineering/maintenance throughout the operation.
- Develop the Operational Readiness plan for the Mining, Mine Planning and Engineering teams, including localisation plan.
- Implement the approved organisational structure required to deliver the project targets and future operational requirements.
- Engage and develop appropriately skilled, capable and experienced personnel in the area of accountability.
- Support the development and implementation of systems for the Engineering and Mining departments to provide effective planning of work, efficient and safe work practices, monitoring of performance and promote continuous improvement.
- Maintain the underground equipment and underground mine infrastructure during the Phase1 & 2 Operations
- Ensure the work carried out by the maintenance team is of a standard that supports the operational requirements of the equipment and is at optimum cost.
- Identify sub-standard work practices and take action to eliminate them and identify the root cause of these poor work practices.
- Assign tasks to subordinates in line with achieving the agreed production plan.
- Lead a team of engineers to specify, design, analyze and verify new components and systems.
- Implement corporate programs, e.g. asset management strategies, System for People, Operational Effectiveness, etc. across areas of control.
- Deploy management routines to identify defects in the workplace.
- Establish a good rapport with the other departments to ensure common goals are identified and reached.
- Develop a 5-year plan for maintenance activities of the infrastructure:
- Identify trends in mining performance.
- Analyse failures to identify the root cause.
- Identify and consider the applicability of new technology and products.
- Monitor the stage of the life cycle costing of key equipment with consideration to changing operational parameters.
- Evaluate the cost of changing operational parameters.
- Optimises mine availability and capability in a sustainable manner.
- Deliver the approved budget whilst proposing solutions to adapt to unforeseen circumstances and identify and discuss opportunities to exceed annual budget and action authorised changes.
- Monitor the performance of mobile equipment operation. This includes but is not limited to;
- Verifying the pre-start checks are being carried out and submitted and indicated anomalies are being corrected in an acceptable timeframe.
- Recording and analysis of consumables – oils, cooling fluids, hydraulics, etc
- Recording the adherence to preventive maintenance schedules in accordance with OEM recommended service cycles.
- Analysis of Mean Time Between Failures and Mean Time Between Replacements for components and machines also permitting correct Reliability reporting.
- Analyse calibration records to check that metering and operation of infrastructure elements are operating within appropriate accuracy.
- Monitor the power, water and compressed air quality being distributed and that agreed to high-quality engineering, and maintenance practices are performed to the required standard by inspecting records and document of the power provider.
- Monitor the performance of power circuits that influence the power purchase agreement by confirming the electrical license conditions are upheld, and key maintenance activities are conducted. This includes;
- Analyse calibration records to check that metering is operating within appropriate accuracy.
- Monitor the power quality being distributed and that agreed high-quality engineering and maintenance practices are performed to the required standard by inspecting records and document of the power provider.
- Monitor the supply, availability and condition of parts, inventory, general and specific consumables and rotable equipment required to provide assured sustainable operation of the mining operation.
- Prepare the departmental budget that supports the company’s objectives and strategy.
- Ensure cost impacts in the area of accountability are evaluated, approved, and budget is revised.
- Identify, communicate and implement potential cost reduction initiatives.
- Manage the department in line with the operational budget.
- Communicate to subordinates the relevant financial detail to each individual’s level is ensuring their understanding and obligations to meet the budget goals
- Maintain the Underground Mine Infrastructure, Mobile Equipment and Ore and Personnel Transport within the approved project schedule, achieving all critical intermediate milestones
- Identify in a timely manner all current and potential risks to the Refurbishment, Construction and Maintenance activities utilising the established Risk Management System, identifying activities and strategies to eliminate, manage or mitigate these risks
- Develop an asset management strategy in the area of accountability based on the Obuasi Operations expected life of mine (LOM).
- Utilize the SAP asset maintenance management system in maintenance activities.
- Ensure all subordinates are competent in the utilisation of the SAP asset maintenance management system to support a smooth transition into operations.
- Liaise and work collaboratively with the procurement team to establish the inventory and spare parts for the Underground Mine Infrastructure, Mobile Equipment and Ore and Personnel Transport
- Develop and maintain the Engineering Management Plan as a key Project Execution Plan sub-plan in the area of accountability.
- Provide input and support into establishing and maintaining Work Breakdown Structure (WBS), budget, schedule, and construction work packs for refurbishment activities.
- Oversee the Requests for Information (RFI) and Technical Query (TQ) process, review and approve appropriate technical and non-technical documentation.
- Review and input into relevant plans such as Health, Safety, Quality and Commissioning.
- Maintain meeting records, agreed actions, and follow up to ensure actions are completed.
- Maintain a regular SAP asset maintenance management system operational readiness interface and hand over meeting.
- Participate in formal cost and schedule reviews to support accurate and timely reporting.
- Advise progress and KPI status in a timely manner to the management team, particularly potential cost, and schedule or quality variances.
- Review and provide feedback regarding the contractor’s progress claims
- Participate in internal and external audits as required.
- Continuously identify opportunities to improve cost, schedule, quality and safety outcomes to all engineering, mining, refurbishment and construction activities undertaken.
- Support the Senior Engineering Manager by providing input into the development of the commissioning plan for the underground infrastructure.
- Coordinate refurbishment and construction labour and resources (plant and equipment) in the area of accountability to support the commissioning process.
- Inspect all refurbishment works to ensure works are delivered in accordance with applicable designs, specifications and expectations.
- Oversee refurbishment witness inspections and testing regime to ensure quality and or performance is in line with obligations and expectations.
- Proactively identify and manage change to avoid the potential cost, schedule and quality issues
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical or Electrical or Maintenance Engineering, or equivalent
- Masters’ Degree in Management will be an advantage
- Financial, commercial and project management through work experience and courses
- An experienced mechanical/electrical/ maintenance engineer with 10+ years’ experience in an underground environment.
- Surface Mine Infrastructure, and Surface Support Infrastructure maintenance background.
- Experience in management of Maintenance and Repair Contracts (MARC) or Mobile equipment.
- Experience in Project Management
- Knowledge of SAP PM module.
- Winders, Hoist and Shaft maintenance work.
- Must possess Engineering Managers Certificate of Competency from Mineral Commission of Ghana.
- Professional Certificated Engineer with a relevant certification body
- Strong maintenance competencies in fixed plants and mobile equipment
- Sound project management skills
- Should have analytical skills to be able to evaluate information and solve complex problems.
- Detail-oriented to understand complex systems, and recognition that a minor error can cause major problems.
- Commercially astute and able to work effectively with third parties.
- Legally astute with respect to project delivery and maintenance systems.
- Excellent skills in Microsoft PowerPoint, Word, Project and Excel
- Must be able to communicate about technical issues both orally and in writing.
- Knowledge in AGA standards
- Knowledge in OEM legalities and mining regulations
- Demonstrated understanding of good engineering practices
- Build and sustain a team of subordinates capable of producing those outputs
- Continuously improve the processes used by the team in delivering outputs;
- Model work behaviours for your subordinates,
- Consistent with the company values
- Proven ability to initiate and drive the construction project through its life cycle.
- To support and motivate the construction project team to deliver the project goals.
- Finding innovative solutions through creative thinking and problem-solving.
- Create an environment of teamwork and willingness to help co-workers
- Able to work with different kinds of people
- Organizational skills to keep track of many workers, schedules, and budgets all at once
CONTINUE READING BELOW
Interested applicants should: