Legal Counsel - Newmont Mining CorporationLegal Jobs In Ghana 2023
Jobs In Accra 2023
A Must Read Article: 10 checks to identify fraudulent or scam job offers
1. Patiently scroll down and read the job description below.
2. Scroll down and find how to apply or mode of application for this job after the job description.
3. Carefully follow the instructions on how to apply.
4. Always apply for a job by attaching CV with a Cover Letter / Application Letter.
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work for.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry-leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
CONTINUE READING BELOW
About This Role
- To support the function to deliver its objective of identifying and managing legal risks, and verifying compliance with local laws as well as guaranteeing the management and security of all mineral rights.
- To provide legal advice to internal clients to manage legal risk, guarantee regulatory compliance, review contracts and human resources processes, manage litigation and external counsel, and manage costs of the department.
- Represent Newmont’s interest with business partners across the Region and establish sound internal and external stakeholder networks in regard to Company’s legal interest.
In This Role You Will
Advise and Support
- Provide legal advice to internal clients to manage legal risk.
- Provide back-up support for evaluating, promoting and addressing compliance with Newmont’s Code of Conduct, policies and standards at site, including but not limited to the Anti-Corruption Standard, Gifts and Entertainment Standard, and Conflicts of Interest Standard, and all associated regional and site-based requirements.
- Advise on applicable laws and regulations, and on mining framework, including Investment Agreement.
- Provide legal advice and assistance to management in relation to Ghanaian legal requirements for key areas such as permitting, environment and social governance, human resources, mining regulations, finance, land and tenements, etc.
Ethics and Compliance
- Certify regulatory compliance by internal functions to comply with laws-advice on issues.
- Review human resources processes to prove that employment decisions are rightfully done to avoid any legal or litigation risk.
- Provide support in ethics and compliance investigations, as appropriate.
Company Governance And Reporting
- Support the Company Secretary in running meetings and activities relating to the Board of Directors and verify that company’s statutory records are up-to-date.
- Act as custodian of key corporate legal documents.
- Liaise with the Corporate records function on records management.
- Complete / oversee, prepare, submit and monitor applications, reports and filings with applicable government agencies.
- Represent the company in meetings with senior regulatory officials.
- Support regional governance process and documentation, done by a cross-functional working group to harmonise and update all governance documents for the region.
- Confirm that the Regional Vice President, Legal is apprised of legal, contractual and regulatory issues affecting Newmont Ghana entities and operations.
- Visit sites and participate in site leadership team meetings to maintain visibility of issues affecting operations.
CONTINUE READING BELOW
- Draft, review contracts or negotiate contract terms submitted by the supply chain department and other internal clients to confirm that the business has the most favourable terms.
- Negotiate and review contracts.
- Review/draft tenancy agreement between the organization and landlords.
- Review/draft agreements between the organization and communities the company operates in.
- Support the acquisition and management of tenements – represent and/or arrange legal representation.
- Support the management of legal affairs of Newmont Ghana sites and operations.
- Support management of litigation and external counsel for the business to guarantee that the business is victorious and to reduce litigation cost.
- Identify and assess legal risks arising from the Newmont Ghana operations, and in consultation with Department Managers, develop and implement strategies for managing the legal risks.
- Maintain working relationships with department leaders and key teams, to understand and address legal support needs.
- Maintain strategic relationships with key government / regulatory officials, especially legal officers of key regulators, and represent the company in meetings with senior regulatory officials.
- Work in cooperation with other Newmont legal counsel and managers regarding projects elsewhere in the Africa region and other regions.
- Train internal and external clients / stakeholders in applicable areas.
Your Training, Skills & Experience Checklist
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Bachelor’s degree and professional qualification in Law.
- Admission to the Ghana Bar.
- Knowledge of commercial and construction contracts.
- Knowledge of the litigation process and court system.
- Knowledge of corporate law and governance.
- Regulatory compliance knowledge.
- International training or professional experience.
- A lawyer with 8 to 10 years practice.
- Legal background with adequate commercial savvy.
- Experience in engaging in operational or project management issues.
- Strategic relationship management with internal and external stakeholders.
CONTINUE READING BELOW
- Advanced verbal and written communication.
- Advanced computer literacy skills – MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Contract drafting.
- Claims management.
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Administrative skills.
- Business continuity management.
- Conflict management.
- Business English.
- Business modelling.
- Advanced interpersonal skills.
- Corporate Governance.
RELATED JOBS >> CLICK A JOB BELOW TO VIEW & APPLY
- Do not pay any fee to any Recruiter.
- The Recruiter may amend, delete or expire jobs at any time without notification.
- The Recruiter reserves the right not to proceed with filling the position.
- An application will not in itself entitle the applicant to an interview.