Jobs In Eastern Region 2021
Job Alerts: Click here to join us on Telegram
1. Patiently scroll down and read the job description below.
2. Scroll down and find how to apply or mode of application for this job after the job description.
3. Carefully follow the instructions on how to apply.
4. Always apply for a job by attaching CV with a Cover Letter / Application Letter.
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
About This Role
- To support the welding and joining of poly high density polyethylene (HDPE) pipes, using a variety of techniques, and connecting in-pit sumps to designated ponds, in a safe and controlled manner.
ADVERTISEMENT CONTINUE READING BELOW
CONTINUE READING BELOW
In This Role You Will:
Pump Operations Planning and Execution
- Communicate with and receive instruction from the Dewatering Supervisor prior to the execution of activities, to determine where water will be pumped to and to ensure that the system remains open.
- Conduct inspections on the following aspects, prior to carrying out work:
- pipelines and valves for leakages.
- fuel level of the pump.
- boreholes around the pit.
- Install pumps in a stage / phase approach and connect pipelines to pumps.
- Complete pre-shift inspection (PSI) of pumps and the polywelding machine.
- Report any identified defects to the Maintenance Supervisor / Maintenance Dispatch.
- Take flow readings from boreholes and report any detected issues to the Maintenance Supervisor.
- Request for fuel level feedback from the process plant / water treatment plans.
- Disconnect affected pumps for blasting activities.
- Check pressure gauges, Revolutions Per Minute (RPM’s), vacuum gauges and load factors and record these on the key performance indicators (KPIs) sheet.
- Obtain and take flow meter readings at the start and the end of the shift.
- Make arrangements to organise water trucks for dust conservation purposes.
- Conduct the installation of standpipes.
- Work to assure that pipeline failures are prevented to maintain efficient pit dewatering.
- Monitor the operation of the pumps to ensure that the water in the sump(s) are pumped, from the pit to the designated pond.
Polywelding Operations Planning and Execution
- Understand the type, size and fitting required for the welding of poly pipes.
- Adhere within the parameters of the job.
- Clean and prepare plastic surfaces for welding, cutting, gouging, beveling or filing.
- Shape and bend plastic piping by using hand tools, machines or techniques such as heating.
- Measure and align pipes for joining, using hand tools and measuring equipment.
- Fuse HDPE sections using various welding, precision and bolting techniques.
- Clean, file and polish finished welding product.
- Conduct the construction, installation and laying of pipelines in the pit and the flipping of pipelines over high walls.
- Maintain quality assurance/ quality control (QA / QC) standards during pipe welding / fusion activities.
- Fit attachments, connect hoses between the pit and the pond.
- Carry out welding activities in pipemoves, replacements and repairs.
CONTINUE READING BELOW
- Plan and prioritise own activities on a daily basis.
- Read, interpret and follow drawings and blueprints for direction on every pump and polywelding activity.
- Obtain the necessary equipment and consumables required to execute tasks from the Supervisor.
- Ensure that all works-in-progress and activities meet specifications, codes and regulations.
- Contribute to the achievement of mine water treatment and dewatering production targets.
- Participate in regular tool and safety audits.
- Participate in further training for upskilling purposes.
- Provide verbal feedback to the Supervisor on the activities completed for the day.
Stakeholder Management and Engagement
- Liaise with the Load and Haul Supervisor to obtain necessary equipment required for pump installations.
- Liaise with the hydrotechnical team and submit completed key performance indicator (KPI) sheets to them.
- Liaise with the blast crew in understanding blast times to make safety pre-preparations with regards to pumps and piping.
- Ensure own dewatering and water treatment shift work meets established statutory standards.
Health and Safety Management
- Inspect work areas and ensure all areas comply with internal Newmont and external regulatory standards.
- Adhere strictly to internal Newmont water management and dewatering standards.
- Comply with safe dewatering procedures.
- Maintain a strong focus of safety throughout all activities.
- Provide hands-on assistance during operations activities to fellow colleagues to ensure that safe work practices are followed.
- Attend daily morning safety meetings.
Your Training, Skills & Experience Checklist:
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Senior High School Certificate.
- Welding trade test.
- MINCOM Equipment Competency.
- Possess a License E.
- General knowledge in mid-to-heavy equipment operation.
- Minimum of 2 – 3 years’ experience in a polywelding / pump environment within a large open pit mine.
- Strong listening skills.
- Strong concentration skills.
- Sound planning, organising and prioritising skills.
- Sound analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Sound technical communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Sound information monitoring skills.
- Ability to understand pumping specifications, pumping curves, flow rates and water pressure.
- Ability to read and follow blueprints, graphs, charts and plans.
- Ability to build and maintain positive relationships with peers and supervisor.
CONTINUE READING BELOW
- Continuous learning.
- Detail oriented.
- Goal oriented.
- Takes initiative.
- Manual dexterity.
- Reliable and independent.
- Safety conscious.
- Position is in a very remote location. The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job.
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Physical Demands: While performing the duties of the job, the employee is required to sit at a desk for extended periods, climb stairs, walk and stand.
- Work Environment: The noise level in the field environment is high. The incumbent is frequently exposed to noise, fumes, high temperature hazardous materials, sharp edges, dust, pinch-points, vibration, slippery surfaces, and extreme weather conditions.
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE): Work requires mandatory PPE such as helmet, goggles, high visible clothing, safety harness, ear plugs and dust mask according to working conditions.
- Incumbent occasionally has to work overtime.
How To Apply
This Job Listing Has Expired
- Do not pay any fee to any Recruiter.
- The Recruiter may amend, delete or expire jobs at any time without notification.
- The Recruiter reserves the right not to proceed with filling the position.
- An application will not in itself entitle the applicant to an interview.