Wikimedia Foundation IT Jobs In GhanaIT Jobs In Ghana 2022
Jobs In Ghana 2022
A Must Read Article: 10 checks to identify fraudulent or scam job offers
Job Alerts: Click here to join us on Telegram
1. Patiently scroll down and read the job description below.
2. Scroll down and find how to apply or mode of application for this job after the job description.
3. Carefully follow the instructions on how to apply.
4. Always apply for a job by attaching CV with a Cover Letter / Application Letter.
The Wikimedia Foundation is the non-profit organization that operates Wikipedia – one of the most popular websites in the world, accessed by over 1.8 billion unique devices every month. It is the only non-profit in the top 50 websites, supported by a community of millions of individual donors around the world.
We are looking for graduates, non-graduates, or those seeking a career change who are interested in developing software engineering skills through an immersive “learn on the job” internship program. As an intern, you will be embedded into an engineering team within our Product and Technology departments and assigned a primary project with clear deliverables.
Alongside your manager and dedicated mentor, you will learn the inner workings of our open-source code that helps to create “a world in which everyone can freely share in the sum of all knowledge”. You will work with software that serves over half a billion page views per day through Wikipedia (and other Wikimedia projects). The outcome of your work will impact how all people everywhere discover, share, and contribute to free knowledge.
Additionally, you will have the opportunity to learn about various departments at the Foundation and connect with the wider volunteer movement and community.
Applicants who identify as a group that is underrepresented in the global conversation of technology advancement are encouraged to apply. We’re also welcoming applicants from communities where access to free knowledge and Wikimedia projects are just emerging.
CONTINUE READING BELOW
Successful candidates must be able to commit to a four month, 40hr/week internship which will fall between late February to early June 2023. We will provide laptops and necessary software installed for the duration of the program. This role is 100% remote, and there may be potential opportunities to participate in in-person events to meet other fellow interns and teams.
POTENTIAL TEAM OPPORTUNITIES
The SRE Infrastructure Foundations team builds the pillars of our bare-metal infrastructure and global network, the platform, configuration management and automation tools our other SRE and development teams can rely upon.
Wikimedia Research is a team of scientists and engineers using data to understand and empower millions of readers and contributors who interact with Wikipedia and its sister projects on a daily basis.
The Growth Team works to help people become Wikipedia editors by introducing learning and editing workflows that are a fit for people on all types of devices, especially those in emerging communities around the world. We build a cohesive new editor experience, helping them find a place in our communities, connect with others, and start contributing their knowledge.
This team is responsible for building and maintaining a design system platform for wikis that provides shared services of tools and guidelines for building user interfaces in an efficient, scalable, and equitable way.
Community Tech is the Wikimedia Foundation team running the Community Wishlist Survey. It builds and improves curation and moderation tools for experienced users, supports bot operators, and more.
The Wikimedia Security team is a multidisciplinary group of security experts with specializations in fields such as privacy, application security, and threat management. We strive to be leaders in cybersecurity, providing open source best practices and resources to help make the world a safer place.
CONTINUE READING BELOW
As we form our internship cohort, we are looking for candidates who possess:
- Basic experience with databases
- Basic experience with at least one scripting language
- Ability to work independently and be resourceful in solving problems
- Ability to stay accountable to deliverable requirements deadlines
- Effective and inclusive communication skills with diverse cultural and language communities.
- Willingness to learn, a positive attitude, and empathy
- A sense of curiosity and and hunger to learn
- The ability to flourish in a highly transparent and collaborative environment
- A desire to make meaningful contributions to knowledge equity, free culture, and open access to global education
RELATED JOBS >> CLICK A JOB BELOW TO VIEW & APPLY
- Do not pay any fee to any Recruiter.
- The Recruiter may amend, delete or expire jobs at any time without notification.
- The Recruiter reserves the right not to proceed with filling the position.
- An application will not in itself entitle the applicant to an interview.