Jobs In Ghana 2022
A Must Read Article: 10 checks to identify fraudulent or scam job offers
Job Alerts: Click here to join us on Telegram
1. Patiently scroll down and read the job description below.
2. Scroll down and find how to apply or mode of application for this job after the job description.
3. Carefully follow the instructions on how to apply.
4. Always apply for a job by attaching CV with a Cover Letter / Application Letter.
This position is located in the United Nations Information Centre (UNIC) in Accra, within the Information Centres Service (ICS), Strategic Communications Division (SCD), Department of Global Communications (DGC).
The UNIC Accra is part of the global network of United Nations information centers, which are the principal source of information about the United Nations system in Ghana and Sierra Leone. UNICs are responsible for promoting public understanding and support for the aims and activities of the United Nations by disseminating UN information materials to a local audience in English; engaging local and regional partners; and, overall, bringing the United Nations closer to the people it serves.
The incumbent is under the direct supervision of the National Information Officer and the overall supervision of the Chief of the Programme Support Section (PSS).
Within delegated authority, the incumbent is responsible for the following duties:
- Manages, updates, and further develops internal databases; updates websites and social media accounts, to include drafting and editing content; assists in the design, development, and maintenance of Internet applications; generate a variety of standard and non-standard statistical and other reports from various databases.
- Researches compiles and presents basic information for use in the preparation and production of communications products/services.
- Serves as a photographic assistant by producing digital imaging, producing photo prints, and serving as a backup photographer; write captions for UN photos.
- Coordinates media coverage of important events; liaises with news and publications agencies, public relations firms, UN photographers, etc. to provide advance notice of, and information on, upcoming meetings, briefings, and special events and to ascertain coverage requirements; coordinates technical arrangements and organizes and allocates space for visiting news, photo, TV and film personnel; evaluates and processes applications for UN security clearances/accreditations.
- Participates in the planning and coordination of major exhibits; liaises with relevant departments/agencies; drafts and edits reports, production schedules, press releases and related texts, and correspondence related to the planning and production of exhibits.
- Using relevant computer software, creates designs in appropriate format for promotional and other material, e.g. brochures, presentational materials, announcements, video, audio, website and social media content, etc.; ensures that photos, graphics, etc. are appropriate and conform to UN standards for communications materials.
CONTINUE READING BELOW
- Ensures availability and appropriate packaging of products for distribution at special events, exhibits, conferences, media functions, etc.
- Assists in the production and editing of video/film projects, radio programmes or online projects; tracks all production material; produces scripts, cue cards, etc., selects and catalogs sound and visual materials for inclusion in productions, and obtains requisite clearances and copyrights; coordinates scheduling of commercial and internal production facilities; directs studio recordings and/or evaluates audio quality of recordings for inclusion in programmes.
- Identifies and prepares new material for websites and social media accounts by: researching various information sources for relevant material and cross-checking information with author offices as required; retrieving and downloading pertinent documentation and other information in requisite programming languages for Web format or inserting into database after determining appropriate categorization; preparing new pages, incorporating graphics as needed, using appropriate authoring tools and necessary programming languages; preparing and updating index of documents; posting documents on the UN web and/or development servers and ensuring the appropriate directory location; checking and testing for multiple browser support, etc.
- Coordinates administrative services, including preparing, monitoring and processing various requisitions, service contracts and payment vouchers, assisting with the preparation of budget and monitoring of expenditures, assisting with recruitment.
- Provides guidance/training to junior staff.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of internal policies, processes and procedures related to communication, production and dissemination of public information. Ability to research information from a variety of sources.
Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
COMMUNICATION: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
PLANNING & ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- A high school diploma or equivalent is required.
- A minimum of five years of experience in public information, communications, public relations, administration and/or related area is required.
- Experience in news writing and editing skills is required.
- Experience with social media and digital communication platforms is desirable.
- Experience in working with Excel, Power-point, MS word, project management software, lotus notes and Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) System (known as UMOJA within the United Nations) is desirable.
- Experience in budget, finance and procurement is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.
CONTINUE READING BELOW
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise, which may be followed by a competency-based interview.
This position is subject to local recruitment pursuant to staff rule 4.4 of the United Nations Staff Rules. All staff in the General Service and related categories shall be recruited in the country or within commuting distance of each office, irrespective of their nationality and of the length of time they may have been in the country. A staff member subject to local recruitment shall not be eligible for the allowances or benefits exclusively applicable to international recruitment.
Passing the Global General Service Test (GGST) is a prerequisite for recruitment consideration in the General Services and related categories in the United Nations Secretariat. Applicants who have not passed the GGST at the time of application may be invited for the test after submitting an application.
Having passed the Administrative Support Assessment Test [in English] at the United Nations headquarters, Economic Commission for Africa, Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia, United Nations Office at Geneva, United Nations Office at Vienna, International criminal tribunal for Rwanda or International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia may be accepted in lieu of the GGST.
The United Nations Secretariat is committed to achieving 50/50 gender balance and geographical diversity in its staff. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.« Go back to the jobs list
RELATED JOBS >> CLICK A JOB BELOW TO VIEW & APPLY
- Do not pay any fee to any Recruiter.
- The Recruiter may amend, delete or expire jobs at any time without notification.
- The Recruiter reserves the right not to proceed with filling the position.
- An application will not in itself entitle the applicant to an interview.