Jobs In Accra 2021
Job Alerts: Click here to join us on Telegram
1. Patiently scroll down and read the job description below.
2. Scroll down and find how to apply or mode of application for this job after the job description.
3. Carefully follow the instructions on how to apply.
4. Always apply for a job by attaching CV with a Cover Letter / Application Letter.
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana, and Suriname. Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo Region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region.
There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company.
This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work for. Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities.
These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index.
Newmont’s industry-leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health, and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities, and Newmont’s shareholders.
About This Role:
- To supervise the mechanical maintenance personnel and activities for the underground mine with the aim of ensuring equipment is maintained in a fit for purpose and safe condition, delivering optimum plant and equipment availability, minimizing unplanned maintenance tasks, and reducing maintenance costs.
CONTINUE READING BELOW
In This Role You Will:
General Mechanical Maintenance Duties
- Supervise the mechanical maintenance team to ensure they are capable of meeting the business requirements of the underground mine.
- Assist with the development and implementation of maintenance strategies based on Reliability Centered Management (RCM) techniques, budgets, plans, forecasts, and maintenance reports to ensure the maximum availability of mechanical apparatus and installations at optimum cost.
- Supervise and perform servicing and maintenance on all mechanical plant and equipment, in line with approved maintenance standards to achieve the required plant and equipment availability.
- Communicate with maintenance, operational, and planning personnel to identify, plan, estimate and organize the proper labor, services, equipment, and skills to ensure they are available as required.
- Collaborate with the supply chain department and maintenance planning to ensure that all the necessary maintenance parts, materials, and supplies are available to maintain the underground mine and associated facilities.
- Assist with the development and review of the maintenance standard task procedures (STPs).
- Provide input into failure analysis studies and recommend alternative strategies for maintenance.
- Collect and analyze data to propose changes in the underground mine maintenance procedures and/or structural, mechanical, plate work, and piping designs.
- Assist with the review and approval of all structural, mechanical, plate work, and piping drawings and make recommendations and modifications based on technical standards and procedures.
- Collaborate with the maintenance and planning teams to determine mechanical maintenance backlogs, scheduling, resource allocation, and equipment shutdown planning.
Mechanical Maintenance Management
- Organize, coordinate and oversee the performance of all mechanical-related activities such as the installation, commissioning, maintenance, repair, inspection, and decommissioning of plant and equipment in the underground mine and associated infrastructure in conjunction with the mechanical team.
- Provide technical support and expert advice as required when work is to be carried on any of the underground mine mechanical infrastructures ensuring safe work practices are followed.
- Support the Mechanical General Foreman, Operation Services, and Business Partners to resolve issues that will hinder the delivery of reliable and stable services to the underground mine that comply with the technical requirements of the business.
- Assist with the compliance of all mechanical apparatus, installations, and related work to the requirements of the Mineral and Mining (Health, Safety, and Technical) Regulation, LI 2182.
- Perform engineering inspections on equipment and maintenance activities in order to ensure it is being implemented as designed and in accordance with Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) requirements.
- Assist with effective and efficient control of isolation, maintenance, and operations of pipe reticulation for the entire underground mine, in conjunction with operation services and business partners.
CONTINUE READING BELOW
- Ensure that mechanical team members are being trained and developed in accordance with Newmont’s employee development program.
- Manage and supervise contractors engaged in mechanical-related activities for the underground mine.
- Supervise team members by:
- Prioritizing and allocating tasks/responsibilities.
- Providing on-the-job training, mentoring, and coaching.
- Recommend relevant training and development courses.
- Enhancing communication with staff through regular feedback, contact, meetings, and briefings, etc.
Health and Safety Management
- Assist with the adherence of mechanical maintenance to all Health and Safety, Environment, and Social Responsibility requirements under Newmont’s Integrated Management System, Newmont vision and values.
- Oversee and manage compliance with all statutory requirements for the underground mine and associated mechanical infrastructure through the delivery of inspections, audits, and reports.
- Assist with the implementation of applicable health and safety regulations and compliance programs.
- Take responsibility for the health and safety of every employee assigned to his/her supervision.
- Conduct and attend periodic safety meetings, inspections, and audits.
- Support and conduct risk assessments for tasks and provide expert advice on the safe operation and maintenance of mechanical infrastructure.
- Assist with the compilation, maintenance, and management of an accurate, complete, and up-to-date mechanical schematic register for the underground mine and associated infrastructure.
- Support with the establishment and maintenance of a system for the safe, structured, and orderly storage of all mechanical maintenance-related documentation.
- Produce mechanical-related maintenance reports as required and distribute them to the relevant personnel and mine officials.
- Assist with the preparation and review of the annual financial forecasts, maintenance budget, and cost reports.
Your Training, Skills, and Experience Checklist
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or other recognized qualification.
- Mechanical Fitter or Boilermaker trade qualification or equivalent is required as a minimum.
- Inspecting or Sectional Engineering Certification of competency / MINCOM Certification is highly desirable.
- Inspecting or Sectional Engineering Certification of competency / MINCOM Certification.
- Demonstrated knowledge of mining or heavy industry maintenance practices, principles, and standards.
- Advanced knowledge of industrial work management processes.
- Advanced knowledge of defect elimination methodologies and their interpretation.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience of working with RCM programs.
- Strong working knowledge in the operation and maintenance of pumps and pumping systems is highly desirable.
- Strong knowledge of planning and scheduling maintenance activities.
- Knowledge of and experience with the operation and maintenance of hydraulic systems is highly desirable.
CONTINUE READING BELOW
- A minimum of 4 years experience in the field of mechanical engineering or maintenance.
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience supervising mechanical engineering or maintenance teams.
- Proven experience with the installation, commissioning, maintenance, servicing, inspection, and repair of mechanical apparatus and installations in a large-scale mining or heavy industry operation.
- Underground mining experience is desirable.
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Highly skilled communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Advanced computer literacy skills – MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook), CMMS/ERP, and MS Project.
- Good report writing and presentation skills.
- Advanced project management skills.
- Ability to use maintenance planning tools (i.e. SAP).
- Ability to interpret structural, mechanical, plate work, and piping engineering drawings, standards, specifications, and manuals.
- Strong people management skills.
- Safety conscious.
- Methodical and logical.
- Results orientated.
- Attention to detail.
- Team player.
The position is located at the Subika Underground.
The incumbent will work in an office setting with regular visits to construction and operational areas.
How To Apply
Interested applicants should:
- Do not pay any fee to any Recruiter.
- The Recruiter may amend, delete or expire jobs at any time without notification.
- The Recruiter reserves the right not to proceed with filling the position.
- An application will not in itself entitle the applicant to an interview.