Jobs In Ghana 2021
Job Alerts: Click here to join us on Telegram
1. Patiently scroll down and read the job description below.
2. Scroll down and find how to apply or mode of application for this job after the job description.
3. Carefully follow the instructions on how to apply.
4. Always apply for a job by attaching CV with a Cover Letter / Application Letter.
This Communications Officer position entails working closely with both Ghana Health and Education Initiative (GHEI)’s local Ghanaian staff and the Global Support Team.
Only applicants willing to commit at least 13 months should apply. Extension beyond 13 months will be considered based on exemplary job performance.
Reports to: In-country, this position reports to GHEI’s Country Director. Functionally, the CO will report to the remote-based Executive Director who will oversee professional development progress and accomplishment of deliverables.
Communications Officer Position Description:
- This Communications Officer position entails working closely with both GHEI’s local Ghanaian staff and the Global Support Team to manage GHEI’s organizational publicity and web-based marketing.
- The Communications Officer is responsible for promoting GHEI’s work through social media and blogging, website, developing online promotional and fundraising campaigns, coordinating donor reporting and relations, and writing and editing reports intended for Ghanaian and Western stakeholders.
- This Communications Officer position requires a great deal of flexibility since responsibilities can change greatly throughout the year.
- Other essential qualities of the Communications Officer include creativity, an outgoing personality, thoughtfulness, initiative, and an ability to live and work in a challenging, resource-poor environment.
CONTINUE READING BELOW
Communications Officer Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement annual communications plans and assist with long-term plans to leverage GHEI's existing resources to solidify funding opportunities.
Donor Relations and Experience (25%)
- Cultivate and manage relationships with existing and new donors through high-quality interactions, seeking to foster long-term engagement and investment.
- Work with local staff to co-manage information tracking processes regarding acknowledgment, recognition, ongoing communications with individual donors.
- Prepare and disseminate periodic reports, newsletters, and program-specific reports to stakeholders and support all aspects of its production, in compliance with specific requirements and ensure reports are submitted on time.
- Write, edit and ensure the overall editorial quality of periodic and program-specific reports.
Website Management (5%)
- As necessary, create and publish engaging content on GHEIs website.
- Regularly review website performance and carry out updates and maintenance.
Social Media Management and Analysis (15%)
- Diversify, manage and maintain GHEIs social media presence through regular content production that highlights ongoing health and education initiatives, success stories and raises awareness of GHEIs catchment communities, mission, vision, and values.
- Conceptualize campaigns and execute social media strategy in support of fundraising efforts.
- Track, monitor and analyze social media presence by assessing performance under key indicators such as reach, engagement, website/page visits, and followers.
Content Creation (20%)
- Photograph program activities, conduct interviews with beneficiaries, and write compelling human-interest stories
- Produce engaging promotional/informational communication materials including flyers, videos, infographics, quote cards, reports, etc.
- Manage and maintain a hard drive containing all communications materials, including up-to-date photographs, fact sheets, etc
Volunteer Program Marketing and Coordination (15%)
- Provide recruitment and marketing support to GHEIs volunteer program (Summer, Serve and Learn, Ghana) via email marketing, online promotion, alumni engagement, etc
- As necessary, provide logistical and administrative support including pre-departure communication with volunteers and on-site programming and coordination.
- The CO should be prepared to assume a mentoring role with the volunteers as they adjust to life in Humjibre. There may be up to four (4), two-week summer volunteer sessions.
CONTINUE READING BELOW
Required Skills, Knowledge, Abilities:
- Bachelors degree in journalism, communications, media, or related field.
- Masters degree preferred
- Minimum 1-year work experience in communication, digital marketing, or related role
- Good understanding of and strong interest in development issues
- Excellent oral and written communications and presentations skills in English
- Ability to translate complex development issues into simples messages for local and global audiences
- Excellent knowledge of social media tools and applications with a special focus on community building
- Proficient in MS Office and Google Workspace
- Good understanding of digital content creation; graphic design, photo, and video editing. Basic photography skills (able to compose a shot, interest in developing photography skills)
- Creativity, outgoing personality, and willingness to take initiative
- Ability to live and work in a resource-poor environment with limited internet capabilities and intermittent power outages
- Demonstrated cross-cultural awareness
- Ability to collaborate effectively with all stakeholders in Ghana and globally
- Ability to work independently and as part of a multicultural team
- Resilient, patient, flexible, and willing to perform a wide variety of tasks as they arise
- Willingness to participate in capacity building initiatives, and implement learnings on-the-job
Desirable Skills, Knowledge, Abilities:
- Experience working with NGOs and familiarity with nonprofit publicity and marketing
- Experience using publishing programs such as Adobe Creative Suite, Canva, or equivalent.
- Knowledge and experience of web-based technologies such as Wix, Google Analytics, MailChimp, Hootsuite, etc.
- Previous experience with NGOs in developing countries.
- Familiarity with volunteer program marketing.
Compensation and Benefits
GHEI puts nearly all our funds into supporting our mission of providing necessary health and education programs to communities in rural Ghana. Unfortunately, we cannot cover the cost of international travel, nor can we cover the cost of initial entry visas and health insurance for international candidates.
Salary: The CO will receive a salary of 1200 GHC/month, equivalent to $200. This salary is non-negotiable. The CO will receive a monthly reimbursement for internet and work-related travel.
Housing: In Humjibre, the CO will also receive free housing and a kitchen on-site for the duration of the agreement.
Vacation: The CO receives 25 days of holiday a year.
For Candidates Not Currently Based in Ghana: If coming from overseas, the CO will receive initial transport to Humjibre from Accra and all necessary immigration registrations and documents for foreign residents in Ghana.
CONTINUE READING BELOW
How To Apply
To apply, please send a cover letter (one-page maximum), your resume/C.V (two pages maximum), and contact details of 2 references (including their email) to
with CO-Your Name as the subject line.
Applications without all three requirements will not be considered.
Although not mandatory, we strongly advise interested candidates to share relevant portfolios demonstrating skills in writing and editing, photography/videography, graphic design, digital content creation, etc.
Work samples produced at the university level will also be accepted.
The application period will remain open until we find the right person.
Only applicants that are selected for further consideration will be contacted for interviews.
- Do not pay any fee to any Recruiter.
- The Recruiter may amend, delete or expire jobs at any time without notification.
- The Recruiter reserves the right not to proceed with filling the position.
- An application will not in itself entitle the applicant to an interview.