Accra Technical University is located in the central business district of Accra, the Capital City of Ghana. The University was converted from a Polytechnic to a Technical University in September 2016 by an Act of Parliament establishing Technical Universities in Ghana. The University has been mandated by the Technical Universities Act, (Act 922), to provide higher education in engineering, science and technology-based disciplines, technical and vocational education and training, applied arts and related disciplines.
The University has a staff of about 700 made up of faculty, senior administrative officers and other supporting staff and a student population of about 15,000 made up of full and part time students offering various academic and professional programmes. The Vision of the University is to be a Technical University of global excellence in competency-based and practice-oriented training, applied research and technology transfer.
- The Director of Internal Audit shall be responsible for the internal audit of the accounts and financial transactions of the University.
- The Director of Internal Audit shall report to the Governing Council through the Audit Committee.
- The Director Internal Audit shall be responsible for the establishment and operation of an efficient and effective financial control system.
- The Director of Internal Audit shall be responsible for vetting all proposed expenditures to ensure compliance with laid-down internal control systems and other statutory requirements.
- The Director of Internal Audit shall be responsible for conducting periodic examination of the accounts of the University including all units with limited financial and operational autonomy.
- The Director of Internal Audit shall monitor and ensure that all expenditure incurred has been authorized and are within budgetary provisions.
- The Director of Internal Audit shall be responsible for conducting periodic management audit and submit reports to the Vice-Chancellor and the Governing Council of the University.
- The Director of Internal Audit shall be responsible for liaising with External Auditors and ensure that appropriate action is taken on reported audit findings.
- The Director of Internal Audit shall submit periodic audit reports on the activities of all Units of the University to the Council through the Vice-Chancellor.
- The Director of Internal Audit shall generally be responsible for ensuring that the University complies with the Internal Audit Agency Act, 2003 (Act 565) and all other relevant statutory regulations.
- The Director of Internal Audit shall be required to perform any other functions that the Vice-Chancellor and the Governing Council assign from time to time.
- The Director of Internal Audit shall hold office for an initial term of four (4) years. The appointment may be renewed, upon application for a further term of up to four (4) years only if that is not beyond the statutory retirement age of sixty (60) years.
- The terms and conditions of the appointment shall be determined by the Governing Council of the University consistent with the Technical Universities Act 2016 (Act 922) and Statutes of Accra Technical University.
- The salary and Conditions of Service attached to this position are very attractive and are comparable to those in analogous universities in Ghana.
Required Skills or Experience
- Must be a servant leader and be capable to plan, organize, implement, and administratively manage all activities related to the Finance Directorate.
- Must be able to provide sound advice to the Vice-Chancellor on all financial matters affecting the University.
- Must have extensive knowledge of Universities’ financial policies, procedures, controls and processes and best accounting and finance practice.
- Must have worked or have experience with a University’s accounting and finance software and records management in a manner that is consistent with the University’s mission and objectives.
- Must have wide experience in treasury management preferably in a University environment.
- Must have extensive experience in compliance with finance, accounting and tax regulations preferably in a University environment.
- Must be able to translate financial concepts and effectively collaborate with programmatic and fundraising colleagues who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds.
- Must be able to effectively communicate with students, staff and external agencies.
- Must be able to provide clear, practical and accurate advice to staff at all levels in the Finance Directorate on financial procedures and requirements.
- Must be able to work effectively under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Must be a Chartered Accountant and hold a Master’s degree in the relevant field.
- Must have at least twelve (12) years post-professional accountancy working experience in a tertiary institution, industry or any relevant public service or corporate organization.
- Must have served as a Deputy Director of Finance in a University or comparable grade in a similar institution/organization for at least six (6) years.
Candidates are to submit a sealed application letter and completed Application forms obtained from the Registry of the University or download and print a copy from the University’s website at www.atu.edu.gh.
Applicants are to attach Curriculum Vitae, including names and addresses of three (3) referees who can attest to the qualities of the applicant.
Applicants are to include a short statement of not more than four pages (Times New Roman size 12 and 1.5 line spacing) outlining their vision and strategies for implementation.
Applications must be hand delivered in a sealed envelope to the Registry of the University and signed for or submitted using a registered electronic mail to reach the address below (as applicable) not later than 20th December, 2018.
Search Committee for Director of Finance
c/o Office of the Registrar
Accra Technical University
P. O. Box 561
Only short-listed candidates shall be contacted
Report This Job?
Feel free to report a job by creating a topic on our discussion forum under "Let us know" category . Create your topic for discussion by clicking forum.jobsearchgh.com